Gravity/Friction/Momentum Review 2
1. State the Law of Conservation of Momentum. “When two or more objects interact ...
a) Write the mathematical formula __________________________________
b) If the objects are going in opposite directions, what do you have to remember to do? _______________________
2. When a hunter fires her gun, the total momentum of the gun, bullet and her body = ______ Why?
3. A 200 N block is at rest on a horizontal table. A force of 40 N is required to start the block moving. What is the maximum coefficient of static friction between the box and the surface?
4. Sketch the shape of the plot of a mass vs. distance and Gravitational force vs. distance for a rocket ship moving away from the earth.
5. Compare the force of friction that you must overcome to start a block moving with the force of friction you need to overcome to keep a block moving at constant speed.
6. Compare the impulse a golf club applies to a golf ball with the impulse the ball applies to the club.
7. Convert the Houston Rockets center Yao Ming's weight (300 pounds) to kilograms _____________ and newtons _____________
kg = _______ lbs 1 kg = ___ N
8. Be able to create the big momentum equation J = Ft = _____ = _____
9. When do you use M1V1 = M2V2 ? (Practice these problems)
11. If a box is being pulled up a ramp, what would the direction of the friction be?
12. A 300 kg car skids on a horizontal wet concrete road. What is the force of friction on the car?
13. A 300 N car skids on a horizontal wet concrete road. What is the force of friction on the car?
14. What can you do to a car to increase the amount of friction between the car's tire and the road?
15. A 2 kg object traveling 3 m/s east has a perfectly elastic collision with a 12 kg object traveling 4 m/s west.
a) Find the total momentum after the collision
16. A hunter fires a bullet from a rifle. What is the total momentum of the rifle, hunter and bullet after the rifle is fired? If the momentum of the bullet is 1200 kg m/s, what is the momentum of the hunter and rifle?
Try http://www.123physics.com for more practice questions